The deck is a high-traffic area at many cottages. Proper maintenance keeps it in good shape and looking great.
Deck Maintenance Tips
- Check for lifting nails every spring.
- Power wash to remove dirt and grime build-up.
- Apply a new coat of protective stain every year or two depending on the amount of wear.
- Take the time to completely sand or strip and re-seal the deck every 5 years to keep it healthy and looking new.
- Replace damaged and rotting boards promptly.
- Ensure that rainwater runs away from the deck footings.
- Keep the steps in good repair.
For detailed tips on how to stain the deck and siding, go to the Deck and Siding Staining page.
Deck Decorating Ideas
- Add bench seats or outdoor furniture for more comfort.
- Get a marble chess/checkers table.
- Add potted flowers.
- Add planters of herbs and tomatoes.
With a bit of maintenance every season the cottage deck will look great and last for years.