Maintenance and repairs are never ending at the cabin. Using the proper tools ensures the cottage jobs get done properly and safely.
Basic Tools For the Cabin
- Flathead Screwdriver Set (traditional screwdrivers)
- Robertson Screwdriver Set (square head mostly used in Canada)
- Phillips Screwdriver Set (star head mostly used in the U.S.A.)
- Allen Key Set (L-shaped with a hexagon head often found on furniture and some equipment)
- Wrench Sets (Standard and Metric)
- Sockets Sets (Standard and Metric)
- Spark Plug Wrench and Sockets (Boat motors, lawnmowers, chainsaws, and trimmers all have spark plugs that are likely different sizes.)
- Adjustable Wrench Set
- Vise Grips (Pliers that have a locking mechanism which holds one side of a nut and bolt assembly in a fixed position while the other is turned.)
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Wire Cutters
- Wire Brush
- Industrial Stapler
- Grease Gun
- Duct Tape
- Electrical Tape
- Tie Wraps
- Nuts, Bolts, Washers
- Safety Glasses
- 24 Foot Extension Ladder
- 6 Foot Step Ladder
Basic Carpentry Set for the Cabin or Cottage
- Tape Measure
- Metal Ruler with a 90 degree angle
- Hand Saw (for wood)
- Hack Saw (for metal)
- Caulking Gun
- Nails, Wood Screws
- Utility Knife
- Power Drill Kit
“Nice To Have” Tools For the Cabin or Cottage
A Cordless Drill and a Power Washer are very useful tools at the cabin or cottage.
Useful Saws for the Cabin or Cottage
A Circular Saw, Miter Saw, and Saw Horses are essential if you plan to get serious about doing your own repairs or renovations.
Always take the time to clean and put away all of the tools at the end of every work day. This ensures they are accounted for and ready to use on the next job.
Need more Cottage Maintenance Tips?
Go to the Chainsaw Use and Maintenance page.
go to the Lawn Mower Maintenance page.
Go to the Staining Advice page.